Nelia Nunes, Event Manager
I started my career in the event business in 2000 planning trade shows and conferences. In those beginning years I learned the ins and outs of event planning, but most importantly, I found my passion for planning events. Where else can you satisfy a love of spreadsheets, timelines and floor plans with creativity and fun?! I am motivated by the team aspect of planning events, and the collaboration and relationship-building that comes from working hard towards a common end goal. It takes a village to plan an event, and I believe that being part of that village should be inspiriting, collaborative, and fun. My background working with nonprofits and advocating in the community has led to a desire to build a company that does good work, feels good, and promotes balance. Out of this desire, Nelia Nunes Events and then Blue Plaza Events was born.
In addition to my passion for event planning, my most important passion is for my family and my kids. My husband Ken and I have been married for 13 years. He’s my biggest fan. My oldest daughter Sabrina inspired me to begin advocating for those with disabilities and for inclusion of people with disabilities in the community. My youngest daughter Alexa is sassy and spirited, and teaching her to be kind and accepting of all people has made me to be a better person myself. I strive to build balance between my passion for work and being able to be a present and hands-on mother to my girls. While I used to believe that you can do it all, I now believe that doing what you do well and what you enjoy and have a passion for is most important.
Professionally, I am a member of Meeting Professionals International (MPI), Independent Meeting Professionals Sacramento (IMPS), California Women Lead, and Folsom Chamber of Commerce.
I believe strongly in giving back to the community. I am also a member of Cal-TASH (the California state chapter of TASH, the international leader in disability advocacy which advocates for human rights and inclusion for people with significant disabilities and support needs). I have presented at various inclusion disability related conferences, and am the Chair of the FCUSD Special Education Community Advisory Committee. I have sat on the district’s Inclusion Task Force and volunteered with various organizations, including Sacramento CASA (Court-Appointed Special Advocates).
Fun Facts About Me:
- Up until this year, I’ve had a deep fear of carwashes
- My husband calls me the spreadsheet queen. I love them. I also absolutely love diagrams and floorplans. I can stare at them for hours.
- I’m an only child
- I have a horrible sense of direction and am grateful that the invention of GPS has given me hours of my life back.
- I used to be able to sleep until Noon. And then I had kids… I now consider 7am “sleeping in”.
- One of my favorite quotes: “Ask yourself what is really important, and then have the wisdom and courage to build your life around that answer.”
In the News:
- I got featured in Pottery Barn’s International Women’s Day campaign!
- STYLE Folsom/EDH Magazine
CMP. Folsom Chamber.